The gorgeous orchid flower is a reminder to me that just because you like something doesn’t necessarily mean you should have it! My sister-in-law once gave me the most stunning pink orchid, and I swear I’d killed it before she had gotten home.
Having said this, I love to photograph orchids. They’re one of the most regal flowers, and the variety of colors – including multi-colored hybrids – makes them all the more interesting.
Like most flowers, there are symbolic meanings for the different colors of orchids.
- Purple stands for admiration, respect and royalty;
- White for innocence, purity and elegance;
- Yellow for friendship, happiness and new beginnings;
- Pink for femininity, grace and joy;
- Orange for creativity, boldness and enthusiasm;
- Red for love, desire, and courage;
- Blue for rarity, uniqueness and spirituality; and
- Green for nature, blessings and good fortune.
And while my thumb clearly is not green when it comes to orchids, at least my camera is a way to bring them close! Here are some of my favorite orchid photographs shot over the years.
Do you like orchids? What’s your favorite orchid color? Please comment below!